The 1997 Z1 changed the way we rode bikes, and for me personally was the most influential piece of bicycle kit I ever bought.
|1996 style, proflex and Z1...|
|Z1 vs DH3|
The production fork featured twin formula standard disc mounts and an optional canti support (pictured). The pre-load adjusters were round and the cartridge tops, plugs and adjusters were quite tall which could sometimes foul the downtube of the frame they were fitted to. For 1998 this model became the Z1 Alloy and featured new low-profile top caps and adjusters for better frame clearance.
|2007 Z1 Bomber|
|What mountain bike test|
|MBUK award now lives on the wall of the gents...|
|Z1 poster still on our office wall!|
Moto X cartridge serves as the Bombers hart n’ soul. This ‘open bath’ hydraulic cartridge directly descends from our famed Magnum moto fork. The revolution is the most reliable & sophisticated cartridge ever designed and here’s why;
• Internal oil pressure is eliminated which makes seal failures a thing of the past.
• All alloy CNC cartridge assembly.
• Infinitely adjustable “speed sensitive valving”.
• CNC alloy pre-load adjuster.
• Seal-less ‘no blow’ cartridge design.
• Large oil volume for quality damping performance.
Open Bath Design
• Cartridge sits in a bath of oil keeping it cool & eliminating damping fade.
• Oil keeps the fork feeling buttery smooth & stiction free.
• Oil circulates from the cartridge leg into the leg via a high-pressure valve.
• 15mm pre-load adjustment.
• Non – temperature sensitive.
• Extremely durable long life.
• Superior sensitivity & hyper-speed reactivness.
• Lightweight open wound design.
• 3 spring rates available (soft, medium, hard).
• Easily interchangeable.
Travel: 100mm/ 4”
Function: coil & hydraulic design. Dampers: dual open bath cartridges control compression & rebound fully adjustable. Springs: coil spring, open wind, 15mm pre-load, 3 available.
Steer tube: Easton EA70 alloy.
Stanchions: 30mm Easton alloy, hard anodized.
Crown: Forged T-6 alloy, CNC machined & polished.
Arch: Forged T-6 alloy, CNC machined, removable brake hanger.
Sliders: Marzocchi cast alloy.
Length: 473mm/ 18.6”
Colour: Tangerine dream orange.